Tips to Move from Canada to the United-States

Are you leaving Canada to go live in the United States and are looking for a reliable, professional, and affordable moving company? You are in the right place! At Démenagements Rapide, we provide an all-round service for those wishing to move to the land of Uncle Sam.

Customs and their various regulations

Going through customs to the United States is just a formality once all of the required documents have been put together. That being said, the 5 following rules should be respected in order to avoid any difficulties:

1. Material Goods

If you have owned them for at least one year, your belongings can, in most cases, enter the United States tax-exempt. If they are new, you must declare them, otherwise they may be confiscated or you may be subject to a penalty. Nevertheless, you may need to pay customs duties for certain items, even if they have been in your possession for more than one year. If in doubt, check with the United States customs.

2. Antiques

Your antiques must be at least 100 years old to be tax-exempt. If possible, bring a proof of authenticity (receipt or evaluation).

3. Animals

If you take a cat or a dog with you that is more than three months old, you must be able to provide a health certificate signed by a vet and a document stating that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. In the case of a bird, it would probably be quarantined when crossing the border.

4. Alcohol

As a moving company, we are not authorized to transport alcoholic drinks. However, we can help you take all of the necessary measures to transport your precious bottles to their destination.

5. Vehicles

You must carry with you a compliance letter from the manufacturer confirming that your vehicle respects applicable regulations as well as the United States’ environmental and security laws. In the case of non-conformity, alternate options, such as using a registered importer, do exist.

Required documents

When moving from Canada to the United States, you must provide the following documents:

  • A complete list of all of the items to be transported
  • The completed 3299 customs form
  • A valid passport, a copy of your birth certificate and an identification card with photo (for you and all your family members)
  • Your work or study visa as well as a promise of employment letter (if applicable)
  • Proof of property ownership or rental in the United States (if applicable)

At Déménagements Rapide, we are committed to making sure your move to the United States is as simple – and fast! – as possible. For more information, please contact us.

Copyright Déménagement Rapide 2023 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice